Thursday 30 August 2018

WALKING THE DOG



I'm not really one for the great outdoors and walking for miles.  I like my imaginative bubble and could very easily be a hermit!  

Lucky for me then that I have Jero our retriever who for some odd reason quite likes fresh air and running after a tennis ball for miles!  So out I go and not too bad really.  Lots of ideas or solutions to writing problems present themselves when I'm out walking.

Still...I'm not really one for the great outdoors and walking for miles.

A poem below.  And a wee photo of Jero below that.


WALKING THE DOG
                    
This is what I like.
The deep dense dark of the forest.
Don’t give me hills rolled into one.
The emptiness of an endless sky.
The well- trodden path.
I want dirt underfoot.
A spirit broken sky of choking branches.
Eyelid leaves blinking wet pus dripping eyes.
Hopes and fears shapeshifting out of the corner of my eye.

Don’t give me clear streams.
I want murky depths.
Stagnant surfaces.
No tree of life.
Only cannibalised limbs of forgotten trees.

No obedient flowers all in a row.
I want to hold my breath
Through venomous sleeping Triffids.
One false step and the horror awakens
To snap the light from my eyes.

Give me that possibility.
This is what I like.


















No comments:

Post a Comment