Thursday 21 January 2021

RIVER AT NIGHT--A POEM

Ecomusuem Project.  There is an audio of myself reading the poem last year.

 

I stretch my limbs through town and country

Struggle to settle on my rocky bed.

Finally my head finds rests against the soft forgiving bank.

I yawn and count stars

 

A sudden rain tickles my skin

Between wake and sleep.

No, I need my rest

Try to stifle a giggle and squirm.

The insomniac rain persists

It knows I cannot resist

I swell with laughter.

 

Not everyone is happy.

The moon rolls its eyes

Lights out and time for sleep

It insists.

 

Yes, that nonsense will keep till day

Snaps the wind

Sweeps in to gather up the rain

Scatters the loitering clouds.

 

More tired than I imagine

My rocky bed suddenly smooth

The night light stars blink.

I flow one way from wake to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment