Sunday 7 February 2021

THE PUDDLE

A wee short story 


 On the first day I never noticed, why would you notice a puddle after a torrent of rain?

On the second day with the rain sun chased to another place, there it was.  It lay directly under an overflow pipe, so I assumed, or my logical brain assumed that was the cause and decided to ignore what my eyes knew, that the puddle was a perfect circle.

On the third day the sun still shone, the overflow refused to drip, and my brain agreed with my eyes.  Looking down into the puddle I saw nothing, and nothing reflected back.  Puddles do reflect don`t they?  I googled, they do.

On the fourth day I decided what I had really decided the day before.  I wouldn`t call the council, or the local university to investigate this....Discovery.  For that`s what it was, my discovery, and in a world where every corner of the globe paths have already been trod, is there anything left to be explored?  Even space the so called final frontier, is it?  Aren`t we primed for an eternal nothing or planets waiting patiently for our arrival?

On the fifth day I stood poised at the edge of the puddle, foot dangling over its surface.  I dipped my toe and watched the puddle lap my shoe, tried not to think of the possible dangers, but only the unknown possibilities of never witnessed before lands.  My shoe submerged further should have hit the path underneath, but nothing.

I pulled my foot back, my shoe quickly as dry as my mouth.

On the sixth day I lay on my bed for the whole of the morning, then with a sudden rush, and almost head over heels down the stairs, I rushed outside.  I was ready. 

The puddle was gone.

On the seventh day I lay half awake, half asleep on the couch, TV rolling around the clock in the corner.  I glanced back and forth, slept, and glanced and both my brain and eye saw as one.

Breaking News:  Police confirm they are investigating claims that a woman vanished, witnesses insist, after jumping into puddle.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment